From the mid to late 1800’s, poisonous substances were used to control pests, plants and also to apply to the skin. In order that the contents were not accidentally ingested, the bottles were coloured in cobalt blue, inky black, and dark green to ensure they were easily identifiable. The distinctive shape and texture of the bottles also helped to identify them in Victorian times when searching by dim light or at night.
These hexagonal bottles with matching stoppers are in excellent condition. They measure 14 cm tall including stopper and 4 cm wide.